Friday, October 16, 2009

A Fall Phenomenon

Last week here in Billings a strange thing happened. One day it was warm and sunny. The next day it was frigid and cold & snow came tumbling down. We hadn't even had fall yet. The trees hadn't turned they're brilliant colors. In fact they were still all green. Well when the snow came I think the trees were awakened from a warm bliss and wondered if they had missed the fall. Assuming they did many of them dumped their greens. Green leaves all around..."on the roof tops... on the ground."
And it wasn't like they dropped a few, some trees gave it all up. Wow...... so Fall and leaves remind me of a time when I was a kid. My sister and I were outside on a wonderful fall day with leaves all over the ground and we put our imaginations together, got out the rakes and designed houses out of the leaves. We would outline the walls and maneuver the leaves around to indicate rooms and then we started on the furniture. We had nice fluffy beds and crisp couches and fridge and stoves and whatever our homemaking minds could imagine. Then we played house for hours until the sun was setting and the brothers came out & trounced on it, scattering our play time back into reality.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I didn't know trees did that. Reminds me of cartoons I have seen where the trees just go "Fwump!" and dump all their leaves as soon as the calendar says it is Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! I love the memory you shared. It was fun times. So do any trees still have leaves on them?

    ReplyDelete